[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:08:03 UTC 2009

> In support of Launchpad once again: Browsing the github docs, I don't see a
> way for this to be made automatic and continual through the site. (Of
> course, it's clearly against their financial interest to promote cvs/svn.)

Does anyone know if github can automatically keep in sync with ANY
external repository?  For example, suppose instead of CVS or SVN we
actually ran a git server on biopython.org, would github be able to
track it automatically?  I really don't like the idea of relying on an
external host - if github could mirror a repository on biopython.org
that would seem much safer.

> Launchpad appears to support it happily:
> https://help.launchpad.net/VcsImports
>
> I see biopython-test hasn't been set up this way yet. Should I try setting
> up a continuous mirror like this (under a name like biopython-cvs-test)? Or,
> would Bartek or Giovanni prefer to?

Given Bartek is one of the official Biopython developers, it might
make more sense for him to try and setup a biopython-cvs-test tracker
in launchpad if people want to try this.  He may have done this
already, as he seems to have several sub projects... I'm not sure and
right now launchpad is being very slow (which does not impress me).
See http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bartek/biopython-test/trunk/files and links

>> Does this [github] work without Adobe flash?  I don't have this on my Linux
>> machine at home, and while I do have gnash it doesn't work on that
>> many sites.
>
> It doesn't seem to work with gnash 0.8.4/amd64, but I think you could use
> gitk to get mostly the same information minus the snazzy site integration.

That's a shame.  At least gitk would work on any git repository, you
wouldn't be tied into github.