[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Mon Feb 23 18:29:04 UTC 2009

>Does anyone know if github can automatically keep in sync with ANY
>external repository?  For example, suppose instead of CVS or SVN we
>actually ran a git server on biopython.org, would github be able to
>track it automatically?  I really don't like the idea of relying on an
>external host - if github could mirror a repository on biopython.org
>that would seem much safer.

I guess It's  doable if we are allowed to setup cron jobs at open-bio.
If we had a git branch at  open-bio.org server, we could use git over
ssh to push to the main branch and then set up a cron job which would
push the main branch from open-bio to github, so that people can branch
from it.

The same thing is off course doable as well with bzr+launchpad.

>> I see biopython-test hasn't been set up this way yet. Should I try setting
>> up a continuous mirror like this (under a name like biopython-cvs-test)? Or,
>> would Bartek or Giovanni prefer to?
>
> Given Bartek is one of the official Biopython developers, it might
> make more sense for him to try and setup a biopython-cvs-test tracker
> in launchpad if people want to try this.  He may have done this
> already, as he seems to have several sub projects... I'm not sure and
> right now launchpad is being very slow (which does not impress me).
> See http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bartek/biopython-test/trunk/files and links

I've requesten launchpad to follow our cvs trunk. They should (after
reviewing my request) put it into the location:
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/biopython-test/trunk
I'll post to the list if they get back to me. We'll see how it goes.

>>> Does this [github] work without Adobe flash?  I don't have this on my Linux
>>> machine at home, and while I do have gnash it doesn't work on that
>>> many sites.

Github in iteslf does not depend on flash. In fact I don't think you
need a browser at all to use it.
Network visualization of your branch and its "relatives" is flash
based, and thus not really accessible
from some systems, but I don't think it's too important.

cheers
Bartek