[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Tue Feb 10 14:43:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> I've taken the whole biopython CVS tree with complete version history
>> (~3500 commits) and converted it to bzr branch using tailor. It took
>> about 2-3 hours, but it needs to be done only once.
>
> Did you do that from the public Biopython CVS server to your machine?
> If so, its nice to know that step isn't too slow.

You can do it using any cvs repository, but doing it over the network
slows it down.
 I got bored so I downloaded the actual CVS repo from
dev.open-bio.org:/home/repository/biopython
The 2-3 hours is  for conversion from a local repository which was a
copy of the
original biopython one. But once it is done you have a directory tree
which has both
CVS and .bzr entries, so you can use it for synchronization.

> Have you got a feel for whether it would be easier to sync CVS and
> bzr, or SVN and bzr?

The tool I used (tailor) works with all VCS systems out there. Also launchpad
is able to update a branch form either cvs or svn main repository. So
there should be
no difference, apart from one migration (CVS->SVN) more.

> I personally would be more interested in an automatically synchronized
> git repository (rather than bzr), but this is not a thoroughly
> researched opinion.  As you pointed out, the poor bzr benchmark speeds
> may not be so bad in the latest code - although the Biopython code
> base is not so big that this really matters.

when it comes to git, I have to say that I'm not really experienced,
but my current understanding of
the possibilities is as follows:
I don't know about any service to _automaticaly_ synchronize CVS (or
SVN) repo with git.
There is git-svn, so if we move to SVN, we can set up a git repository
and write some scripts
around git-svn to have it synchronized with SVN trunk. Then, if we
want to host it,
we need to start a git-server on dev.open-bio.org or use the free
account on github. It has a limit of
100mb and current biopython CVS tree is 57Mb, so we can go with it for
a while, but I'm not sure if
I would recommend it.

But for sure there are people more experienced with git than me on the
list, so we may hear about better options.

cheers
Bartek