[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 13:26:19 UTC 2009

> I've taken the whole biopython CVS tree with complete version history
> (~3500 commits) and converted it to bzr branch using tailor. It took
> about 2-3 hours, but it needs to be done only once.

Did you do that from the public Biopython CVS server to your machine?
If so, its nice to know that step isn't too slow.

> In summary, I think that it's doable to convert current CVS tree to bzr and
> bzr handle the job of a DVCS. Performance is not stellar (epsecially code
> browsing in launchpad is sometimes slow) but for it's acceptable, especially
> given that I'm rarely browsing the history, and much more often use command
> line tools which are (for me) fast enough.
>
> Please let me know what others think. If there will be general interest
> in that, I can try to set up a more permanent (but still experimental) bzr
> branch which would be automatically synchronized from CVS, so that
> we can do a more long-term experiment to see whether it works, and
> people like it.

Have you got a feel for whether it would be easier to sync CVS and
bzr, or SVN and bzr?

I personally would be more interested in an automatically synchronized
git repository (rather than bzr), but this is not a thoroughly
researched opinion.  As you pointed out, the poor bzr benchmark speeds
may not be so bad in the latest code - although the Biopython code
base is not so big that this really matters.