[Biopython-dev] SVN migration and Launchpad mirroring

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:59:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Lasher wrote:
>>

> Do you control your own project with multiple developers?
> If so, how do you ensure which is the standard version and address
> conflicts?
>
> While I understand the advantages of distributed option, I do not see the
> end result any different between a distributed and a non-distributed version
> control system.

Let's say I want to develop a new module to read fasta sequence,
alternative to the current one.
With a DVCS, I would fork the official biopython branch, and start
working on it.
While I am changing things and committing everything to my private
branch, the official biopython developers keep committing changes, on
the official branch.
When I will be sure that my SeqIO personalization is ready, I will
send a merge request to you, and it will be easy to know:
- which was the exact version and code of biopython when I created my branch;
- which commits have been made in the official branch while I was
working on mine, so it will be easier to determine how to merge them;
- moreover, if my changes will be accepted, the whole history of my
private branch will be included in biopython (and it could be useful).

Imagine how to do the same with a normal VCS.
It would be similar: I would create a local copy of biopython on my
computer, and start working on that (since I don't have access to the
official repository).
When my new module will be ready, I will send the changes to the
official biopython branch through bugzilla: the problem is that then,
we will have lost the information on which was the version of
biopython when I created my local copy, and it will be more difficult
to merge it.

Have a look at this post:
- http://github.com/blog/39-say-hello-to-the-network-graph-visualizer

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it