[Biopython-dev] Code freeze for Biopython 1.53

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 22:43:16 UTC 2009

Brad wrote:
>> Brad - could you run a sanity test before uploading to pypi?
>
> Looks good to me, and uploaded to pypi.

Great, thank you.

>> Draft text below - any comments?
>
> As a thought for next time, what do you think about adding the
> names of people who have worked on the items mentioned in the
> release? This would give a bit more public recognition for the
> contributions, especially to people who only look at the release
> notes and not mailing list traffic.

Its too late for the emails and the source code bundles, but
the nice thing about the NEWS file (in the repository) and
the OBF news server is we can update them even now.

Of course, quite where to draw the line is debatable - a simple
patch probably doesn't warrant it (or does it?), but solving a
more complex bug or adding some new functionality does.
If any existing core developers want more "recognition" we
can do that too.

For example, Kyle, would you have like to be named with
regards to the Jython work? I almost put you in anyway,
but in the end just mentioned it on twitter:
http://twitter.com/Biopython/statuses/6502469425

Another idea to showcase new features would be for the
author(s) to prepare a (credited) blog post with some
examples (to put on our news server). I have already done
a few like this, and think it would also be a good thing in
general.