[Biopython-dev] Possible re-import from CVS to git

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:32:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>wrote:

> So, if we are going to re-do the git import (and we may have to fix
> the tag history), it would be very nice if all the existing CVS users
> could first:
> (a) setup an account on github, and
> (b) tell me the email address you are using for it.
>
> If we do move to github, you would need to do this anyway in order to
> be given collaborator status to make commits direct to the main trunk.

Eek. Now that the Summer of Code is under way, I guess this is a good time
to bring up the question of how Nick and I should be following the Biopython
trunk and publishing our own code.

In spite of the warning that the CVS tracker in GitHub was tentative, I was
getting comfortable with the setup we had. Should I (we) hold off on pushing
anything substantial to GitHub until this tagging situation is resolved, or
is there a better way to approach this? For example, does anyone know if
it's straightforward to back up a branch's recent history with
git-format-patch and apply it directly onto a new repository with different