[Biopython-dev] Possible re-import from CVS to git

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 18:18:12 UTC 2009

On the thread about the missing history tags in github, I wrote:
>> ... Then I succeeded in doing it locally (under 15 minutes) on my Mac
>> after logging into dev.open-bio.org and fetching a zipped up copy of
>> the CVS files.  The hard bit was working out how to get the CVSROOT
>> directory setup:
>>
>> cvs -d $PWD/biopython_cvs init
>> cd biopython_cvs
>> unzip ../../Biopython-CVS-2009-04-21.zip
>> cd ..
>> time nice -n 10 git cvsimport -v -k -d
>> /Users/pjcock/repositories/bp_cvs_local_to_git/biopython_cvs  -C
>> biopython_git biopython

I've been testing the -A option for git cvsimport to map our CVS
usernames to hithub accounts.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cvsimport.html

The following format omitting the email address does nothing at all
(checking the local repository), which is a shame as I was hoping it
would allow a quick and simple way to map the CVS usernames to the
github usernames:

peterc=peterjc

However, the documented format does work:

peterc=full name <valid email address>

It seems that as long as the email address matches that used for your
github account, once the repository is uploaded to github it will all
work nicely - and your github account will be linked to the commit.

So, if we are going to re-do the git import (and we may have to fix
the tag history), it would be very nice if all the existing CVS users
could first:
(a) setup an account on github, and
(b) tell me the email address you are using for it.

If we do move to github, you would need to do this anyway in order to
be given collaborator status to make commits direct to the main trunk.

> I've pushed this to github as
> http://github.com/peterjc/biopython-cvs-import/tree/master

That is deleted now.