[Biopython-dev] Modules to be removed from Biopython

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 13:58:14 UTC 2008

> That sounds positive.  I was thinking we might want to edit
> setup.py
> so that it doesn't complain loudly if mxTextTools is
> missing - given
> this will now only be needed for deprecated modules.  Do
> you have any
> view on this?

Since mxTextTools is only needed at run time and not at compile time, I think we do not have to check at all if it is present or not. Then in Martel, if importing mxTextTools fails, we can give an informative error message saying that the user should install mxTextTools. Since Martel is deprecated anyway, I think that that is quite sufficient. Compare it to ReportLab: Bio.Graphics imports it, but we don't check in setup.py if it is present or not.

--Michiel