[Biopython-dev] Numeric/numpy - Bio/Affy/CelFile.py

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:57:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, I was under the impression that the latest consensus was to go to NumPy directly. It's quite complicated to support both NumPy and Numerical Python, at least at the C level.

I was assuming dual support for both numpy or Numeric for the next
release based on code like this:

try:
    from Numeric import x, y, z
except ImportError:
    from numpy.oldnumeric import x, y, z

where I assumed the C code would have been decided at compile time.

If a simple switch from Numeric to numpy is what you and Brad had in
mind, that's OK with me but in the python code we should just use
simple imports from numpy only.