[Biopython-dev] uploading coalescent code

Michiel De Hoon mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu
Tue Nov 13 09:52:44 UTC 2007

Hi Tiago,

> 3. IMPORTANT: There are some text template files. I suppose that there
> is no standard way to have datafiles around. I was thinking (actually
> somebody suggested on this list) in putting it alongside the code.
> Question: Is there any standard way to know where biopython is installed
> (so that I can read those datafiles)? We are talking of very small files.

Have you looked at the manual for distutils? Section 2.6 and 2.7 discuss
having data files distributed with a Python extension. See

http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html

Given that such an option exists, somebody must already be using it. So I
think your best option is to google around a bit to find some examples.

--Michiel