[Biopython-dev] Offer to convert BioPython to NumPy

Ed Schofield edschofield at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:42:56 UTC 2007

On 3/2/07, Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon <mdehoon at c2b2.columbia.edu> wrote:

> > If this is really necessary, the easiest way to proceed may be to use
> > NumPy's "oldnumeric" interface, rather than porting properly.
>
> For the reasons above, this is really necessary. But will oldnumeric be
> around in the future? Or is it a temporary measure to making porting
> easier?

I think Travis wants to keep the oldnumeric interface around for at least a
few years -- long enough, I imagine, for most actively developed projects to
have been ported to NumPy.

I've started work on a simple wrapper layer for Biopython to use either
Numeric or numpy.oldnumeric. I'll post more details soon.