[Biopython-dev] forward_complement, reverse_complement

Michael Hoffman hoffman at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 14 05:21:40 EDT 2004

> Bio/GFF/easy.py contains the functions forward_complement and
> reverse_complement, which return the forward and reverse complement of a
> sequence object. I had been looking for such functions in Biopython for a while,
> but I assumed that they were not available as I didn't find them in Bio/Seq.py.
> I'd like to propose to move those two functions there. Note that Bio.SeqUtils
> contains similar functions that work on strings but not on sequence objects. Any
> thoughts?

I wrote those when Bio.GFF was not part of Biopython and they are
really only there to support Bio.GFF.

It would probably be better to change the Bio.SeqUtils funtions to
work on sequence objects. I imagine the Bio.SeqUtils functions are
much faster since much of the work gets passed to the native function
str.translate().
--
Michael Hoffman <hoffman at ebi.ac.uk>
European Bioinformatics Institute