ARGHHH [Biopython-dev] changes

Brad Chapman chapmanb at arches.uga.edu
Wed Jan 16 12:20:56 EST 2002

Jeff asks:
> Right now, Biopython requires a minimum of Python 2.0.  Is it time to
> up the specs again?  What do people think?  How much easier do the
> 2.1/2.2 features make your lives?  Where would you use them, and how
> much backwards compatibility would it break?

I'm all for moving forward with the minimum requirement if people think
it helps them. The number one thing I like about 2.1 is the warning
framework. 2.2 has the nice new Iterators and Generators which I would
be keen on learning to use. It's probably too early to require 2.2, but
starting to require 2.1 would help move us towards requiring 2.2 sooner
:-).

Newer-is-always-better-than-older-except-when-it-comes-to-bourbon-ly yr's,
Brad