[Bioperl-l] Size of BioPerl distribution

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Fri Sep 18 02:13:37 UTC 2009

t/data compresses from 21M to 9M. We could ship with

$ tar -czf data.tar.gz data
$ rm -rf data

and do the following in Bio::Root::Test, if we're willing to expect
Archive::Tar and IO::Zlib :

use vars qw( $ARCHIVE );
$ARCHIVE = "data.tar.gz";

sub test_input_file {
    # if it's there, fine
    my $fn =  File::Spec->catfile('t', 'data', @_);
    return $fn if -e $fn;
    # if it's not, expand the archive
    my $arch = File::Spec->catfile('t', $ARCHIVE);
    Bio::Root::Root->throw("Test data archive not present") unless (-e $arch);
    my $tar = Archive::Tar->new($arch);
    Bio::Root::Root->throw ("Can't extract test data archive") unless $tar;
    $tar->extract;
    return $fn if -e $fn;
    return;
}