[Bioperl-l] Google Summer of Code student Chase Miller

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu May 14 14:16:46 UTC 2009

Albert,

Just to note, I have been using bioperl 1.6.0 with the ensembl API w/o
problems, and Sendu Bala added an ensembl 'wrapper' to bioperl-run.
Do we know precisely what breaks btwn 1.2.3 and 1.6 (and thus leads
everyone to believe 1.2.3 is absolutely required)?  The previous
answers have been pretty nebulous and unspecific.

I would have to go on record as being opposed to this.  If there is a
true compatibility issue, I would much rather spend the energy and
tuits driving towards ensembl compatibility with the current bioperl
version than backporting to 1.2.3.  What about having users popping in
with bug reports on list (here or ensembl) about bioperl versions 5+
years out-of-date?  Furthermore, it's a slippery slope; the next thing
will be requests to backport specific bug fixes in the current branch
to 1.2.3.

Who's willing to maintain that branch?  We have few devs as it is, so
is someone on the ensembl end willing to take that up?

Perl 5 development has been held up with the same issues, something
they have recently just started digging themselves out of.
Regardless, I think way too many changes have occurred in that
particular code that make such endeavors unrealistic, unfeasible, and
unmaintainable.

chris

>>> format. He wrote a great proposal, available here:
>>> https://www.nescent.org/wg_phyloinformatics/PhyloSoC:BioPerl_integration_of_the_NeXML_exchange_standard_and_Bio::Phylo_toolkit
>>> .
>>> We will be working throughout the summer on the project, and will of
>>> course come to you for sage advice. I know you will welcome him
>>> warmly, as
>>> you did me.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark