[Bioperl-l] Regarding Bio::Root::Build

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Sun Aug 9 16:13:03 UTC 2009

bix at sendu.me.uk wrote:
>> The three critical issues (as I've pointed out before) are:
>>
>> 1) Getting CPANPLUS installation working, which may be just META.yml,
>> or it may be shell-related.  I would like it for CPAN Testers, if for
>> nothing else.  That's at least 2 bug reports, maybe more.
>> 2) Bio::Root::Build converted towards a Module::Build-compliant API,
>> or we'll need to convert run/db/network to Module::Build.  1 bug report.
>> 3) Avoid potential infinite looping. This may be Gbrowse-related via
>> the net install script, but if Build.PL is being called in some way
>> that potentially causes recursion we need to be aware of it. This one
>> appears rarely, but I did manage to replicate it using an old
>> Module::Build (I can't recall if I used the net install script or
>> not). 1 bug report.
>
> It might be a week or so before I get started since I'm currently on
> holiday away from a usable computer.

These issues should now be resolved.

I'll note that for future cases similar to 3), if a user chooses to
install an optional dependency using CPAN/CPANPLUS and the installation
of that external module causes an infinite loop, it's an issue of that
module or CPAN/CPANPLUS, not BioPerl. The solution from our end is to
tell the user to choose not to install that dependency or ask on the
CPAN mailing list if they really need it.

(I've often got stuck in infinite loops just trying to install
Bundle::CPAN! CPAN itself will detect infinite loops after a while and
kill itself.)