[Bioperl-l] SeqIO documentation

Brian Osborne bosborne11 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 8 14:18:59 UTC 2009

Chris,

Since we've been discussing formats I just wanted to mention that I've
changed this documentation from SeqIO.pm:

If no format is specified and a filename is given then the module will
attempt to deduce the format from the filename suffix. If there is no
suffix that Bioperl understands then it will attempt to guess the
format based on file content. If this is unsuccessful then Fasta
format is assumed.

If no format is specified and a filename is given then the module will
attempt to deduce the format from the filename suffix. If there is no
suffix that Bioperl understands then it will attempt to guess the
format based on file content. If this is unsuccessful then SeqIO will
throw a fatal error.

The code is clear, if SeqIO can't figure out what the format is then
it dies, "fasta" is not the default format.

Brian O.