[Bioperl-l] Bio::TreeIO - tree object to string

Daniel Gerlach Daniel.Gerlach at medecine.unige.ch
Mon Mar 10 16:13:39 UTC 2008

Dear all,

This is a very basic question. I have a tree object in $tree and want to
save its newick representation in a variable as a string:

my $out = new Bio::TreeIO(-fh => $tree_string, -format => 'newick');
$out->write_tree($tree);
print $tree_string;

Unfortunately this does not work and he prints out the newick tree on
stdout plus the message "Use of uninitialized value in print at ...". He
also prints out the tree on the stdout if I remove the line "print
$tree_string". The variable $tree_string seems to be empty.

D.