[Bioperl-l] undef SeqFeature tag values

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 25 14:36:08 UTC 2007

The rollback branch is off of HEAD, not 1.4, so any bugs fixed since
then and any modules/tests added will be present.  So far everything
has worked relatively well; you can check the history of this page to
track what has happened so far:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Feature_Annotation_rollback

The only problem code remaining for the first round of changes is a
single method in Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated (if the tests are to be
trusted) and one test in Bio::SeqFeature::AnnotationAdaptor using
Hilmar's original test suite.  Most of those were tests breaking
Feature/Annotation API outlined in the HOWTO (calling get_Annotations
directly from a Bio::SeqI or Bio::SeqFeatureI for instance), or
examples where has_tag() was not used.  I agree good test coverage
would probably help catch some of those still silently lingering in
code, but I don't think it can find everything; that's the reason I
indicate there will need extensive testing.  That applies within the
suite but also by users in the wild.

The SeqFeatureI and AnnotatableI API is defined very specifically in
the Feature/Annotation HOWTO, so if anything the introduced changes
violated much of that and started a domino effect of users
unknowingly violating the API (me among them).  Also, just b/c a test
passes doesn't mean it is the ->correct<- result; it is very easy to
just throw something from Data::Dumper into an is() test and have it
pass.  As an example, it appears there was a bit of cheating going on
with AnnotationAdaptor.t in particular, where expected numbers were
changed to conform to results w/o explanation.  Which is the correct
answer?  I trust Hilmar's original test suite over the (rushed) changes.

chris