[Bioperl-l] test::more template

Nathan Haigh N.Haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Oct 19 16:50:57 UTC 2006

Quoting Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu>:

> > I thought I'd have my first proper try at writing some tests. I was
> > wondering if there is a template test file that I should use/study in
> > order to be
> > consistent with other tests.
> >
> > Failing that - Is there a good test writing style I should follow in one
> > of the other test files?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nathan
>
> I would start with the Test::Simple and Test::More perldoc; they're pretty
> self-explanatory.  You can look at the various test suites using Test::More
> as well for pointers.  By far, most tests will use is().  You can use SKIP
> blocks to skip tests that have a requirement, or skip all tests if they all
> require something.  Pretty flexible.
>
> We should probably get a wiki page for the developers underway, maybe a
> HOWTO on writing tests.  At least have these focus on BioPerl, OOP, remote
> DB tests, etc.
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Fields
> Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
> Dept. of Biochemistry
> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Just working through some test things now, I thought I'd start on the bioperl-run stuff as I thought it might be a bit more straight forward, i'm
familiar with some of them and they seem to get neglected.

I'm heavily commenting my tests with the thought of starting a wiki guide to testing Bioperl modules. See how far I get!

Nath