[Bioperl-l] test::more template

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 19 15:45:00 UTC 2006

> I thought I'd have my first proper try at writing some tests. I was
> wondering if there is a template test file that I should use/study in
> order to be
> consistent with other tests.
>
> Failing that - Is there a good test writing style I should follow in one
> of the other test files?
>
> Thanks
> Nathan

I would start with the Test::Simple and Test::More perldoc; they're pretty
self-explanatory.  You can look at the various test suites using Test::More
as well for pointers.  By far, most tests will use is().  You can use SKIP
blocks to skip tests that have a requirement, or skip all tests if they all
require something.  Pretty flexible.

We should probably get a wiki page for the developers underway, maybe a
HOWTO on writing tests.  At least have these focus on BioPerl, OOP, remote
DB tests, etc.

Chris

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab