[Bioperl-l] Rfam/Pfam annotations and SimpleAlign

Brian Osborne bosborne11 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 31 16:37:01 UTC 2006

Chris,

I don't think the intent was to remove the methods, rather we'd just call
deprecated(). Example from AnnotatableI:

sub remove_tag {
  my ($self, at args) = @_;

  #uncomment in 1.6
  #$self->deprecated('remove_tag() is deprecated, use
remove_Annotations()');

  return $self->annotation->remove_Annotations(@args);
}

With regards to "why", I can't reconstruct the entire rationale myself but I
can say that the newer names make more sense. Take that example above - it's
function is to remove entire Annotations not just to remove tags, so
remove_Annotations is a better name.

Brian O.