[Bioperl-l] Bio::SearchIO::hmmer hsp behaviour

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 29 05:23:03 UTC 2006

> I think the bug fix you refer to had to do with not returning things
> ordered by E-value -- the creation machinery only only builds Hit
> objects when there are HSP objects being built.  Basically the
> parsing is linear in terms of the file, we read "Model" (Hit) data
> first and store them in a hash keyed by the name of the domain, but
> we only >>build<< the "Hits" when seen HSPs, hence the problem when
> the -A option limits alignments but reports Hits that don't have
> individual alignments.  This has to do with the order of things not
> syncing up and/or dealing with the -A option when there is leftover
> Hit data but no HSPs to populate them.  We also had this problem in
> BLAST reports and had to work around that, but I never bothered
> solving it in HMMER I guess.  Glad there are other people who are
> going to fix the problems!

Yeah, just figured that one out.  I see the two tables are parsed into two
arrays, so it is feasible to have the leftover (Hit/HSP|Model/Domain)
whatever converted into the proper objects like without any alignments (-A0
optional output).  I plan on reporting this in Bugzilla and will work on it,
but can't get to it immediately (probably not 'til Friday-Saturday at the
earliest).  If Sendu wants to tackle it I don't have a problem.

> The one "alignment" (HSP) per hit was a workaround to the problem
> that Hits were being returned in the order the HSPs came in (Sequence
> order) -- because that is the order they were being built in -- not
> in the sorted order of the Hits as seen in the report.

The SAX method, I gather, getting in the way.

> Feel free to propose an alternative implement for parser as you see
> fit as long as the API is preserved.  you can contibute a new
> SearchIO plugin and HMMERSearchResultListener to deal with it - or I
> guess do what I also do and just run hmmer2table and deal with things
> in a tab-delimited format.

Or set it up as hashes, which you have mentioned before for BLAST.

> Personally my interests lie in the actual domains so the Hit objects
> are superfluous in my own work so it never bothered me to have one
> per Hit and it flows more naturally to things like GFF, etc.  You can
> aggregate them however you like after the fact pretty simply so I
> don't find this too hard to deal with, but if this a major deterrent
> for people I guess have at it ( I think the speed of object creation
> is a larger problem that I hope that someone will work on soon).

Agreed, though now it's finding the time....

Chris