[Bioperl-l] Bio::SearchIO::hmmer hsp behaviour

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Thu Jun 29 02:53:25 UTC 2006

I don't have any time to really debate this sadly - I definitely went
back and forth on how to solve this and not many people ever spoke up
about what the WANTED.  So glad to hear there are opinions out there
now.

I think the bug fix you refer to had to do with not returning things
ordered by E-value -- the creation machinery only only builds Hit
objects when there are HSP objects being built.  Basically the
parsing is linear in terms of the file, we read "Model" (Hit) data
first and store them in a hash keyed by the name of the domain, but
we only >>build<< the "Hits" when seen HSPs, hence the problem when
the -A option limits alignments but reports Hits that don't have
individual alignments.  This has to do with the order of things not
syncing up and/or dealing with the -A option when there is leftover
Hit data but no HSPs to populate them.  We also had this problem in
BLAST reports and had to work around that, but I never bothered
solving it in HMMER I guess.  Glad there are other people who are
going to fix the problems!

The one "alignment" (HSP) per hit was a workaround to the problem
that Hits were being returned in the order the HSPs came in (Sequence
order) -- because that is the order they were being built in -- not
in the sorted order of the Hits as seen in the report.

Feel free to propose an alternative implement for parser as you see
fit as long as the API is preserved.  you can contibute a new
SearchIO plugin and HMMERSearchResultListener to deal with it - or I
guess do what I also do and just run hmmer2table and deal with things
in a tab-delimited format.

Personally my interests lie in the actual domains so the Hit objects
are superfluous in my own work so it never bothered me to have one
per Hit and it flows more naturally to things like GFF, etc.  You can
aggregate them however you like after the fact pretty simply so I
don't find this too hard to deal with, but if this a major deterrent
for people I guess have at it ( I think the speed of object creation
is a larger problem that I hope that someone will work on soon).

I'd appreciate you including the salient points of how the report is
interpreted on the wiki at some point (with 8X10 glossy pictures and
circles and arrows on the back...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%
27s_Restaurant) so the debate can be archived too.

-jason