[Bioperl-l] ASN.1 and BioPerl ?

Stephen L. Mathias smathias at poblano.health.unm.edu
Mon Feb 14 10:32:23 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 14:37, Peter.Robinson at t-online.de wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 01:20:30PM -0800, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> > The ASN.1	 parser would be very useful, in particular for implementing
> > the NCBI Gene parser I suppose.
> >
> > I do suggest though that you publish this as a separate module on CPAN,
> > as supposedly it is (or meant to be?) generically useful, so I
> > completely agree with Chris on this.
>

> I also agree that it would be better to have the module on CPAN; if you
> been inspired to use the module to incorporate Entrez Gene into BioPerl I
> would be happy to help out as I can. My initial experiences with this suggest it will not be easy.
>

> > I need an NCBI Gene parser implemented in the Bio::SeqIO framework
> > returning compatible Bio::SeqI objects within the next few weeks. The
> > speed needs to be at least several records per second, ideally 10/s or
> > higher.
> >
> > My understanding is that Peter has a grammar-based parser in Java
> > (speed I don't know), and Steve has a Parse::RecDescent-based parser in
> > perl (not bioperl) which is (expectedly) slow.
> >
> > I've seen Graham Barr's module on CPAN but haven't tried it yet; it
> > seemed to me that you need the ASN model definition to start with,
> > which I haven't seen at any obvious or not-so-obvious place on the NCBI
> > ftp site, so I either missed something or you have to download the
> > entire toolkit or something else.
>

> You might want to take a look at this
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/CPP_DOC/lxr/source/src/objects/entrezgene/entrezgene.asn

You also need:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/CPP_DOC/lxr/source/src/objects/seqfeat/seqfeat.asn
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/CPP_DOC/lxr/source/src/objects/general/general.asn
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/CPP_DOC/lxr/source/src/objects/seqloc/seqloc.asn
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/ToolBox/CPP_DOC/lxr/source/src/objects/pub/pub.asn
which contain definitions imported by the above file.

--
(   Stephen L. Mathias, Ph.D.  (   s m a t h i a s  (
 )  Office of Biocomputing      )  @ p o b l a n o   )