[Bioperl-l] perl Makefile.pl

Phillip Lord p.lord@russet.org.uk
14 Jan 2002 19:11:00 +0000

  Brian> Hi all

  Brian> I am new to bioperl having just completed a MSc in
  Brian> Bioinformatics. I am currently trying to setup BioPerl on
  Brian> windows NT, I have downloaded the latest version of bioperl
  Brian> along with the additional modules from CPAN. I have also set
  Brian> up the latest version of active perl.

  Brian> Everything has gone fine until I unzip the modules in a Temp
  Brian> folder.... can anyone talk me through the process in details
  Brian> ( I have downloaded Nmake.exe and Nmake.err)

  Brian> perl Makefile.pl nmake nmake test

  Brian> How do I open the prompt to enter these 3 commands......I
  Brian> have tried opening using the Makefile.pl file in the unzipped
  Brian> folder however the box keeps closing once opened

        I think that you asked the same question about six months
ago. You seem to be saying you don't know how to use a command
prompt.

        All you need to do is click on "Command Prompt", or "MS-DOS"
in the start menu, and type commands in there. Assuming that you
unzipped the package into say c:\temp then you need to type

cd c:\temp
perl Makefile.PL

        into this command prompt. And see what happens. I don't know
whether or not nmake works with perl makefiles, and I don't have a
windows install to test with.

        Perhaps you should get a book on how to use windows.
Clicking on things will get you so far. But only so far.

        Cheers

        Phil

ps where did you do your MSc in bioinformatics, as I was thinking
perhaps of doing one myself.