[Bioperl-l] Bioperl Makefile.PL and testing

Chad Matsalla chad@dieselwurks.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:30:34 -0600 (CST)

Greetings All,

When Makefile.PL went from version 1.48 to 1.49 on 20021214 (Hi Ewan!)
the ability to run tests like this: make test_<test_name> went away. I
know what changed, but before I 'fix' this, I have two questions:

1. Is there a reason that should go away?
2. Can it stay? It is one of the most useful things around.

Let's say I am working on Bio::SeqIO::phd.pm and I know that the changes
will affect the operations of Bio::SeqIO::scf.pm in an acute way. I
would rather not run the tests with 'perl t/phd.t; perl t/scf.pm'
because that will not make the actual modules.

So I do the following:
make test_phd test_scf

and everything magically works out.

I just wondered if many other people test this way.

Chad Matsalla