[Bioperl-l] Microarray ANOVA module

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:26:55 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 lsprilus@bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il wrote:

> According to Robinson, Peter:
> > I would like to ask about the status of Bioperl's plans for modules for microarray data analysis. I have written a module that does ANOVA (F test) analysis of microarray ...
>
> We are working on Bio::Maxd, a module for managing and accessing maxdSQL, the relational
> implementation by Manchester Bioinformatics of the ArrayExpress schema developed
> by the EBI.

Cool.

What I would love to see is some discussion of the "business objects" and
interfaces - by business objects I mean objects which are indepdent of
whether they were built by files/databases/xml/whatever, for example, one
might have:

  (these are all made up things)

  # assumming these are all interface definitions

  Bio::Array::PhysicalDescriptionI    # which points go to which elements
     ::Array::ElementI                # what is actually on the array
     ::Array::ExperimentDescriptionI  # description of an experiment
     ::Array::CapturedExperimentI     # A set of data, with a
                                      # PhysicalDescriptionI and a
                                      # ExperimentDescriptionI, and of
                                      # course the data values!

Of course, ArrayExpress and friends are MIAMI compliant and MAGE-ML based,
both of which are clearl things to support, but I strongly believe that
the full MAGE-ML model should not be exposed as just "400 objects you
might want to use for describing array experiments" but instead mapped to
some clear cut interfaces and hide the complexity sensibly (eg, one might
have)

   Bio::Array::MAGEML::DataValue
                     ::TemperatureValue

etc

or indeed, have this outside of the Bio:: namespace as MAGEML may
auto-generate the objects and one just needs to write bridging cases to
the interfaces that we should agree on.

I am not a pro here, so I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts, but of
course, we need to discuss how this should work inside bioperl as much as
possible/sensible so groups have a common framework/concept set to work
from