[Bioperl-l] Microarray ANOVA module

Alvis Brazma brazma@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:47:52 +0100 (BST)

> What I would love to see is some discussion of the "business objects" and
> interfaces - by business objects I mean objects which are indepdent of
> whether they were built by files/databases/xml/whatever, for example, one

I think that MAGE-OM is such an object model, which is completely
independent of databases or any particular implementation (see
www.mged.org/mage)

> might have:
>
>   (these are all made up things)
>
>   # assumming these are all interface definitions
>
>   Bio::Array::PhysicalDescriptionI    # which points go to which elements
>      ::Array::ElementI                # what is actually on the array
>      ::Array::ExperimentDescriptionI  # description of an experiment
>      ::Array::CapturedExperimentI     # A set of data, with a
>                                       # PhysicalDescriptionI and a
>                                       # ExperimentDescriptionI, and of
>                                       # course the data values!
>

> Of course, ArrayExpress and friends are MIAMI compliant and MAGE-ML based,
> both of which are clearl things to support, but I strongly believe that
> the full MAGE-ML model should not be exposed as just "400 objects you
> might want to use for describing array experiments" but instead mapped to
> some clear cut interfaces and hide the complexity sensibly (eg, one might
> have)
>

>    Bio::Array::MAGEML::DataValue
>                      ::TemperatureValue
>

> etc
>

> or indeed, have this outside of the Bio:: namespace as MAGEML may
> auto-generate the objects and one just needs to write bridging cases to
> the interfaces that we should agree on.

I'm not 100% sure if I uderstand your point... How would you autogenerate
these 400 or so objects from less granular description? MAGEstk project is
working to generate Perl, Java and C++ objects from MAGE-OM, and in fact
the Perl version already works and we are using it for MAIMExpress. I can
understand that for human use the model should be conceptualised, to
extent we had try to do it with
http://www.mged.org/Workgroups/MAGE/introduction.html and a publication is
comming out on this, but I don't see how a computer can autogenerate these
objects from less granular description? Or I guess, this is probably
something else you are suggestiong?

In any case, we have a MAGE mailing list to which you can subscribe
from www.mged.org/mage, and these discussions would be useful for the
list. You have to be a member to send an e-mail to the list.

Cheers,
- Alvis