[Bioperl-l] X-platform

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:20:30 -0800

I guess it's pretty obvious for everyone on the list that this has
turned out to be very hard business, even though you can always hear
people claiming perl is cross-platform.

We appreciate the efforts of Todd and Shelly, who volunteered to test
the code on Mac and Win32, and who try to track down errors (which
does take a lot of time).

At the same time it also seems that we will have to declare some of
the issues unfixable for the time being. In this respect, I don't want
to clutter modules with cross-platform instructions. If that's the
only fix then there is no fix. Platform-dependent if/then/else should
be restricted to modules in Bio::Root::*, which presently means
Root::IO.pm. (Test scripts are exceptions because they are in fact
client code.)

Any objections to that direction?

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org