[Bioperl-l] Q for Hilmar

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:06:54 -0800

Mark Wilkinson wrote:

> is it your intention to put SeqCanvas.pm (and/or any other GUI modules) into the
>
> "official release" of 0.7?

It wasn't so far. I think it is better to keep them separate, for the
following reasons.
1) I don't feel confident releasing someone else's project. It should
be you releasing it, and harvesting the fame (or blame :-)
2) It would create another dependancy (perlTk, right?). Not all people
on all platforms might have it (frankly, even I don't have it
installed :O).
3) It didn't undergo the same cross-platform and cross-version tests
as bioperl.
4) It isn't hard to get them seperately.

I'll be more than happy to include a link in the release
announcement/README, and I'm also happy to synchronize it with your
release (assuming that you're also almost release-ready). Making the
different interrelated packages available together as Jason suggested
makes certainly sense, but what is the added value of downloading 1
tarball instead of 4 from the same directory.

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org