[Bioperl-l] SeqI interface

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:06:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Jason Stajich wrote:

> > > primary_seq and annotation - yes
> > okay I'll include them in the SeqI definition.
>
> Hmm. Why primary_seq() in the interface? The only reason this method
> exists in Seq.pm is that it delegates to a PrimarySeq object, right?
> Maybe I'm missing something here, maybe it's even in the IDL. In any
> way, it's trivial to implement, non-delegating classes could just
> return $self. (I assume SeqI inherits off PrimarySeqI, right?)

Oh no. The delegation model here is crucial the preventing large memory
monsters forming and in large scale world absolutely needed.

by calling primary_seq and releasing seq, the client is indicating to the
server that it can reap the otherwise memory-hogging seq object with all
it's associated crap.

we use this basic route alot in, eg, ensembl...