[Bioperl-l] # $id, copyright, and basic cvs questions

Chad Matsalla chad@sausage.usask.ca
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:11:15 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

I am busily working on the list that I posted the other day. So far
Bio::Seq::QualI is complete and Bio::Seq::PrimaryQual works the way I am
expecting. I have quite a few procedures in a file called t/01test_qual.t
; I will break them up a bit into separate files to make things easier.
For now, things are behaving as expected.

Naturally I either cut-and-pasted or heavily modeled a lot of stuff from
both PrimarySeq, PrimarySeqI, and SeqIO::fasta. Do I list myself as the
Author(tm)? How does one give credit for stuff like this?

Are these modules copyright Chad Matsalla?

How do I form this line?
# $Id: BioperlProgrammingConventions.txt,v 1.24 2001/03/26 06:06:29 nobody
Exp $

for example, here is this module Bio::SeqIO::qual and the header looks
like:
# $Id: Qual.pm,v 1.2 2000/08/02 08:21:40 chad Exp $

What should my version be? Is this set by CVS or can I arbitratily assign
it?

Some questions on CVS:

I have not modified any existing bioperl modules other then copying and
mangling the copies, so...
Is this the correct procedure to add them to the repository?

1. cvs checkout bioperl
2. place my modules in the appropriate locations
3. place my tests in t/ (What should I name my tests? Any guidelines?)
4. cvs add each file (do this manually, file by file?)
5. cvs commit

I have been using CVS locally here for all of my things. I was going to
write a simple script that when given the command copies these modules
from my devel tree into the bioperl tree and commits them into bioperl. Is
that wise?

Thanks for everybody's patience while I learn these mysterious (to me)
procedures.

Chad Matsalla