[Bioperl-l] what constitutes a good match?

Jeffrey Chang jchang@SMI.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 08:57:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Tania,

When evaluating the significance of your e-values, you also need to keep
in mind:

1.  The number of blast queries you're running.  The more you run, the
more likely you are to get a false positive.  For example, if you run 1000
queries and choose an expectation of 1E-3, it's probable that you'll get a
false positive.

2.  How willing you are to accept false positives.  Depending on your
application, you may be willing to accept a little noise, in which case
you can crank the significance down some.  Otherwise, make it more
strict to ensure that you keep out the false positives, risking that you
may lose some good hits too.

A good source of sequence searching information is Steven Brenner's
Sequence and Structure Searching Site:
http://sss.berkeley.edu/

I don't know if this answers your question...  :)

Jeff