[Bioperl-l] remote blast update

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

Checked in changes to RemoteBlast which now uses the latest and greatest
ncbi cgi script (Blast.cgi rather than the older one I was using
- blast.cgi)

Thanks again to Mike Reith for showing me that a simple FORMAT_TYPE=Text
in the query will solve my HTML tag stripping woes.
Hilmar - thanks for looking at the tempfile issues in the script - looks
like I won't need that code now if I can get text format out at same time.

Also XML output is an easy hop here so we are definitely looking for
someone to consider writing an XML blast parser - as a BPlite plugin or
coder's choice.  Maybe we even go to BlastIO/text, BlastIO/xml,
BlastIO/asn.1 structure?  Blast is pretty much the staple of
bioinformatics right now so anything we can do to make handling
reports easier in bioperl is a big plus.

Jason Stajich
jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Center for Human Genetics
Duke University Medical Center