[Bioperl-l] Biocorba proposal

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:00:41 +0000 (GMT)

Alan Robinson has a 0.2 spec for biocorba: his proposal (and some lovely
text describing the reasoning behind this) is at

http://biocorba.org/pipermail/biocorba-l/2000-November/000044.html

As bioperl will have to "play well" with biocorba (and therefore play well
with biojava and biopython by association) people interested in where
bioperl is going in terms of object definition should give this a good
read.

Highlights that impacts bioperl

   - Moving away from arrays for SeqFeatures

   - More complex sequence feature location specification - hopefully
easier to handle EMBL'ness (including the dreaded "fuzziness"), certainly
more chances to provide "same underlying information represented in more
than one way" aka, general flexibility. This is the thing that is going to
keep me up at night, but I can't see any easy way through this.

Otherwise we are in good shape for implementing this. I guess jason and me
are the main implementors of bioperl corba clients and servers - but we
welcome other people into the fold ;)

ewan.

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.