[Bioperl-l] New Blood

Shailesh Mistry Shailesh_Mistry@five-d.com
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:46:16 -0000

Hi All,

My name is Shelly and I am looking into helping with NT maintenance of
Bioperl.
Being fairly new to all this I look forward to easing in gently into this
role, any helpful pointers gratefully received.
I work mainly in C and Perl but my Perl is slightly lacking so please feel
free to send me any positive criticism.

I have a strong background in biotechnology and used to work at the Sanger
Centre quite a few years ago so it shouldn't take too long to catch up on
the biology. My thesis was based on mathematical modelling and computer
simulation so I may be able to help out with maths problems but it has been
a while.

I am currently working on porting the complete Bioperl to NT including the
AcePerl.
The first thing I noticed is that ftp://bioperl.org/pub/external/ has
AcePerl-1.67 although the official homepage (http://stein.cshl.org/AcePerl/)
is at version 1.68 since May 20, 2000. I have tried building this but hit
some problems and have mailed Lincoln Stein to try to resolve them.

Please note that I can only offer a few hours work a week and that I only
receive the mailing list in digest form so if you need to reach me urgently
it is quicker to mail me direct.

I look forward to working with you all.

Shelly.