[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::WebDBSeqI

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:01:04 -0800

Jason Stajich wrote:

> Also, about temporary files.  I am using File::Temp, which behaves

Seems to be another external dependency. I don't have it in Perl
5.005_03. Did it come with the core 5.6 dist?

Since we're piling up external depencies anyway, just add it to
Makefile.PL ...

A general question to people on the list: what is your general feeling
about the number of external dependencies? Do you feel fine with a
growing number, or does it scare you, do you think it might
significantly heighten the barrier to using the package, or is it just
normal for you that installing one package means installing another ten.
Do you think maintaining a collection of the respective external modules
on the bioperl FTP site mitigates the additional trouble, or are you
afraid that these most of the time will be outdated?

Does it make sense to have someone responsible for keeping that stuff
up-to-date? I think Chris has done this so far, voluntarily.

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757