[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::WebDBSeqI

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:09:29 -0500 (EST)

It is a standard CPAN module.  Not sure that it comes standard with
perl 5.6.0. but I added the dependency to Makefile.PL.  Sorry, I know that
adding extra modules is annoying, but it makes coding much cleaner,
IMHO.

As for them being out of date, we could write some code to insure that our
copies are up-to-date via a cron job and the CPAN module, but that may be
more than necessary.  A bioperl bundle in CPAN perhaps?

-Jason

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Jason Stajich wrote:
> >
> > Also, about temporary files.  I am using File::Temp, which behaves
>
> Seems to be another external dependency. I don't have it in Perl
> 5.005_03. Did it come with the core 5.6 dist?
>
> Since we're piling up external depencies anyway, just add it to
> Makefile.PL ...
>
> A general question to people on the list: what is your general feeling
> about the number of external dependencies? Do you feel fine with a
> growing number, or does it scare you, do you think it might
> significantly heighten the barrier to using the package, or is it just
> normal for you that installing one package means installing another ten.
> Do you think maintaining a collection of the respective external modules
> on the bioperl FTP site mitigates the additional trouble, or are you
> afraid that these most of the time will be outdated?
>
> Does it make sense to have someone responsible for keeping that stuff
> up-to-date? I think Chris has done this so far, voluntarily.
>
> 	Hilmar
> Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
> GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757

Jason Stajich
jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Center for Human Genetics
Duke University Medical Center