Bio::PreSeq , etc.

Georg Fuellen fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:16:11 +0000 (GMT)

Chris wrote,
> Hi folks,
>
> Releasing Bio::PreSeq and Bio::UnivAln sounds fine to me.
>
> There are a few things that need to be fixed on my end first..Brian
> Osbourne seen some strange behaviour in the translate() method and I
> I'm not at all convinced that Seq.pm can gracefully deal with the
> absence/presence of Readseq and Parse.pm. I'll try to get things
> cleaned up in the next few days.

ok!!!!

> On another note, I formally showed off  the BioPerl project to people
> at my company at an internal poster session.  I had been careful to
> work on Seq.pm during non-work hours because I was wasn't sure if any
> lawyer-types might take exception to me working on software that is
> explicitly meant for the public domain.  Fortunatly my fears proved
> groundless and response was really positive.

Great!!!! (btw, ``public domain'' means, at least to some lawyers,
that the authors abandon all and any rights to their work; in that sense,
our code is just ``free software'', subject to the same liberal licensing
that applies to Perl.)

> One of the beneficial fallouts from the poster session is that I
> should be able to install a unix box outside of the corporate
> firewall which can be a Web/FTP server for Bioperl stuff.  The
> machine can be called "bioperl.genetics.com" or somesuch and can be a
> US mirror site for the group.  What do people think about this?

This is optimal for your developer's site, and medium-term, we can
maybe mirror things there. Thanks!

> Regards,
> Chris Dagdigian
> cdagdigian@genetics.com