[Open-bio-l] Open-bio cross-project issues

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 27 10:15:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Peter Rice<pmr at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:

> Peter C. wrote (to bioperl-l, biopython-l, emboss-dev):
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Peter Rice kindly said he will look into an OBF cross project mailing
>> list, but in the meantime this has been cross posted to the Biopython,
>> BioPerl, and EMBOSS development lists.
>
> There is a list already for this purpose - open-bio-l

Ah. Well spotted. Should we update the mailing list description to which
seems a little dated (e.g. BioSQL has its own mailing list now), to make
it clearer that things like file format specifications and sample data are
also a suitable topic for this list?

> I think we will also need a cross-project wiki space on the OBF site. Is
> there something already used by other projects or should we set
> something up?

Good idea. As I have mentioned in the past, I think the BioPerl wiki has
a good collection of pages on sequence and alignment file formats
which might be relocated there. Very few of these pages are actually
BioPerl specific.

> I am cross-posting this to other OBF project lists to encourage
> developers interested in combining efforts to address common
> problems. This started with FASTQ short read formats, and
> open-bio-l (a low volume list) has also seen discussion of
> common test data sets.

For reference, the FASTQ threads include this triple posted one:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/emboss-dev/2009-July/000605.html
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2009-July/006467.html
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2009-July/030698.html

This EMBOSS + Biopython thread: