[BioSQL-l] Versioning in BioSQL Database

Luke Swaby lukeswabypetts at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 12:51:54 UTC 2020

Hello

I’m currently writing a load of Python scripts to interact with a slightly
modified version of your BioSQL database (pretty much identical, with an
additional table for metadata), and am having a lot of trouble working out
how to implement record versioning in it.

Comments in the schema—and the version field in the bioentry table—suggest
a particular method of doing this was in mind when the schema was written,
but I can’t find any documentation on how this is to be done.

In sum, I need it to be able to hold multiple versions of the same record
in the same table, and a means of accessing (ideally by default) only the
latest version of each record when it is requested. It would ideally also
automatically add a new version of a record whenever any change is made to
it, either internally by direct MySQL queries or externally by ingestion of
newly modified .gb/.csv files. I’ve thought of numerous ways of doing this,
including creating a new table which points to the unique
bioentry_id/metadata_id of the latest version of each record, but am very
stuck on how to do this.

Do you have any suggestions? I’m sure there is a relatively basic answer
that I am totally missing, but I’m pressed for time now and am finding
nothing anywhere!

Very much appreciated if so

Luke