[BioSQL-l] Genbank loading time

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 17:17:57 UTC 2009

On 1/28/09, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> My bad, I'm thinking of the taxonomy loader (need more coffee).  I'm
> wondering, though, whether it would be feasible to have a direct loader for
> the most common database formats (GenBank/EMBL/Swiss), something
> similar to the taxonomy loader that doesn't rely on any specific Bio* package.

You could re-invent the wheel, and write yet another
GenBank/EMBL/Swiss parser in standalone perl for use within
load_seqdatabase.pl but I really don't see any point to this.  Reusing
the BioPerl parser seems most sensible, especially given that
bioperl-db is an extension to bioperl in the first place - and the
BioPerl parsers already exist and are well tested.