[BioSQL-l] adding non-positional features via bioperl to a biosql database

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Feb 10 23:45:40 UTC 2009

On Feb 10, 2009, at 6:25 PM, James Procter wrote:

> BioSQL and BioJava also do this just fine, but whilst BioPerl allows
> features with
> a '0' start position to be persisted, it then cannot work with the
> feature after it's been recovered from the DB. This looks like a bug
> to me.

I think the fact that it doesn't raise an error speaks much more to
the fact that 1-based coordinates aren't fully enforced than that a
coordinate of 0 is fully supported. If the coordinate is undef you
probably get the same translation to '.' in GFF, and the fact that you
get that also for 0 is probably simply due to 0 and undef both
evaluating to false in Perl if in an if clause.

	-hilmar