[BioSQL-l] Web front-ends to BioSQL

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 06:01:36 EST 2009

Hi

I think the conversation is splitting in two, which is great!

First of all, I can see a need for an API, and web-services are a very
interesting way forward, especially as they can be used in many
different systems.  I'd certainly like to see something develop along
those lines.

However, I would like to continue the front-end conversation.  A
web-services API isn't a front-end, it's a means to a front-end, and I
disagree that there is not enough commonality to develop a web-based
front-end.  There are a huge number of groups who want to manage a
sequence collection, they want to be able to search that sequence
collection, list and browse it, export them as EMBL/GenBank, import from
EMBL/GenBank.  Now, if someone was to write import.php, export.php,
search.php and browse.php - well, on top of a BioSQL database, I think
that would be an incredibly powerful app.

Mick