[BioSQL-l] PhyloDB module updates

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Feb 18 21:18:03 UTC 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2008, at 5:17 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>

>> [...]
>> Though speaking of which, what has been bugging me lately is that
>> they only provide for a single taxonomy to be used (presumably the
>> one from NCBI, since one column expressly refer to the
>> NCBI_taxon_ID. I've been thinking about suggesting to generalize
>> that a little, but the backwards compatibility issues might just
>> outweigh the benefits.
>> [...]
>>
> I think it would be better to generalize it within the schema.  Is
> there a way to indicate what taxonomy was used (NCBI, custom, etc)?

Not at present, it is the NCBI Taxonomy by convention (and as that is
what GenBank/DDBJ/EMBL sequences will refer to).

To represent that, the taxon table would in essence need to receive a
foreign key to biodatabase to indicate the namespace (which would be
NCBI Taxonomy by default), and to allow for multiple taxonomies (each
in a different namespace).

(Generalizing the NCBI_Taxon_ID column is easy - it would just be a
generic Identifier.)

	-hilmar