[BioSQL-l] license

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Feb 16 15:59:14 UTC 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:07 PM, Peter wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at gmx.net> wrote:
>> I realized that the license is probably one of the few things we
>>  really need to sort out before release (though voice your opinion if
>>  you feel that shouldn't hold anything up).
>
> Have you read the very short and very liberal Biopython license?  I
> assume that what ever you pick would be compatible... although
> probably much more restrictive:
>
> http://www.biopython.org/DIST/LICENSE

Is this effectively the MIT license?

> On a related note, are the bits of Biopython that deal with BioSQL
> considered part of the Biopython Project, the BioSQL project, or both?

Funny you ask, I just pondered that question myself the other day. I
guess de-facto the language bindings have been part of the toolkits,
not part of BioSQL. I don't see a good reason to change that, and in
fact from the viewpoint of maintenance they probably better remain
part of the respective toolkits.

	-hilmar