[BioSQL-l] a biosql/biojavax localization question

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Jul 3 18:07:10 UTC 2006

Hi David, I wish I were in the south of France soaking up sun ...
although there is no shortage of sun (or heat for that matter, and
throw humidity in there too) where I am.

Is_Circular is a general attribute that will apply to any sequence
(given the fact that many sequences are indeed circular). This, and
the fact that one may even want to search for it, would justify
inclusion directly as a column in the biosequence table.

Is_Taxon_Hidden is one of those attributes that BioSQL by design
handles through attribute/value associations, that is, using ontology
term associations that have a value (the term is the attribute name).

However, there is no taxon_qualifier_value table in BioSQL, so in
essence you are asking for adding that table.

Does anybody else have ideas for taxon attributes for which this
table may be used?

I don't really favor a proliferation of 'localized' versions of
BioSQL - this tends to defeat the purpose both of the rationale
behind a standardized persistence interface, as well as the design of
the schema for ultimate extensibility through weak typing and the use
of controlled vocabularies.

Any thoughts to this end welcome.

	-hilmar

On Jul 3, 2006, at 1:55 PM, David Scott wrote:

> sure hilmar-
>
> in the genbank taxonomy file - nodes.dmp:
> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/pub/taxonomy/taxdump_readme.txt
> there is a field:
>
> GenBank hidden flag (1 or 0)            -- 1 if name is suppressed
> in GenBank entry lineage
>
> this field controls whether the level is included in the taxonomy
> hierarchy when the genbank ORGANISM section is generated - but the
> more general problem trying to be solved is:
> o parse genbank entries
> o store parsed entry in biosql
> o pull parsed entry from biosql
> o (re)create the genbank entry
> o compare the recreated entry with the source document for
> identity. well - ok - almost identical.
>
> there are several parameters missing from biosql to make this
> possible. the general approach to a solution has been:
> o alter the biosql table to add a new column (a sql ddl file)
> o add a private get/set for the column in the biojavax object (a
> java file)
> o add the column to the biojavax hibernate o/r mapping (an xml file)
>
> to help others that might have the same objective, and to
> accomodate those that don't wish these nonstandard columns  - it is
> planned to release the o/r mapping files with the additional
> columns/fields commented out - these xml files along with the java
> files are checked out with cvs. it was not clear what to do with
> the ddl files - and it would be helpful to have them reviewed - no
> matter what is done with them.
>
> thanks for helping me - i just assumed you were late in responding
> because it is summer - and, well - you were in the the south of
> france soaking up the sun.
>
> looking to you for suggestions-
> david
>

> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>> Hi David, sorry for dropping (or rather, not ever picking up) the
>> ball on this ... got lost in inbox stack.
>>
>> The earlier consensus was if I recall correctly to include
>> is_circular as a biosequence attribute in the 1.1 version.
>>
>> isTaxonHidden is new to me and I don't even understand what it
>> would mean. Can you elaborate?
>>
>>     -hilmar
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2006, at 11:19 AM, David Scott wrote:
>>
>>> biojavax is using hibernate to o/r map the biosql database to
>>> biojavax
>>> objects. biojavax is planning support in the biojavax objects for