[BioSQL-l] Exploring data in database

Kris Boulez kris.boulez at algonomics.com
Wed Mar 26 15:55:54 EST 2003

[ I know this question is rather off topic, but I don't know of a more
appropriate mailing list. In the end it's about a database with
sequences in, so it's not completely OT :)    ]

We (will) have a database that tracks the results of different
experiments in the lab (you could call it a very mini LIMS).
It will most probably be implemented in MySQL.

The users (scientists) want to look at the data in a very 'exploratory'
way (e.g. "given this gene, coming from experiment Y, which other genes
have a similar pattern in experiment X and ... "). They want to query
the data but have no predefined queries whatsoever.

To allow these people to do this, my standard answer is to learn SQL,
have a good look at the database schema and write their queries
themself. They seem however very reluctant to do this.

I can think of alternatives:

- use MS Access and access the database via ODBC (their seems to be a
  relatively intuitive way of creating queries/reports in Access)

- dump the tables "tab seperated" and look at them in MS Excell.

- implement something like EnsMart

I would however prefer a (web) environment, which lets them explore the
data. I looked around a bit for this, but couldn't really find anything.

Suggestions, comments ?

Kris,
--
Kris Boulez 				Tel: +32-9-241.11.00